Choose your bike bag
The online magazine I Love Bicyclette has just published a very interesting article on how to choose your bag bike. Enough to see more clearly and make a relevant choice among the plethora of protection for bicycles, whether for flexible or rigid bags:
Article from the magazine "I Love Bicyclette" from February 3 2018: We have worked a lot and we are happy to present to you this file entitled “How to choose the right bag
bike” given the enormous choice offered to you on the internet! We have tested for many months and collected a lot of information to be as clear and precise as possible in order to help and advise you objectively in this purchase. In the end, based on these criteria, we chose an interesting brand to offer you on ILB! :-) To start, you need to select a bag
depending on how you will use it:
- bag light transport for bicycle (car/train)
- bag bicycle transport for the plane
- bag bicycle protection (static in your garage/hotel/outside)
1 - SELECTION CRITERIA bag OF LIGHTWEIGHT TRANSPORT FOR BICYCLES
This bag must be: practical, light, solid, balanced, quality, recyclable, compact before use, easy to use. Let’s review the essential criteria:
A - QUALITY OF “FREE PRODUCTS” MATERIALS
Please note: many bags are offered in materials that are not very resistant/suitable for transporting a bicycle... But also with PVC, a material in the process of being completely banned in Europe because it is not recyclable! No need to buy a “disposable” bag after one use. Select bags using PE600D or Nylon 400 minimum and with a washable liner such as recyclable TPE/TPU! (NO PVC or only PVC FREE) The “hard”, molded plastic versions do not correspond to the selection criteria of the category and those offered are often misleading with dimensions not suitable (too small) and without real protection inside, or even built with non-recyclable materials and banned in more and more countries, so be careful!
B - QUALITY OF ZIPPER
Choose good quality bag
s with double zips
: easier for Opening and closing with the bike inside, a double zip also allows a double possibility of closing in the event of a problem with one of the two!
C - DERAILLEUR PROTECTION REMAINS THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE
Almost all bicycle transport bags/bag
s require you to remove both wheels! It is imperative
to support the bike with a support which is positioned under the bike and which goes up along the rear chainstays to protect your chainstays and your derailleur
! Such a support is very rarely sold with light bag
s but you will find them as accessories for less than 19 euros on the internet.
D - SIZES OF bagS FOR MTB AND ROAD BIKES
Make sure the minimum dimensions are: 125 cm minimum for mountain bikes (130 cm for sizes L or XL) and 120 cm for road bikes on average. Below these sizes only bikes in sizes S or BMX (in general) are likely to fit, particularly because of the handlebars! For bag
s respecting the maximum dimensions authorized by the SNCF (120/90) for train travel, you will most certainly have to shift or remove your handlebars, especially for a mountain bike! https://www.sncf.com/fr/offres-voyageurs/voyager-en-toute-situation/velo-a-bord In all cases you can measure from rear axle to front axle the length of your bike if you have any doubt, but also take into account the length of the handlebar/handlebar placed across which may exceed the vertical of the front axle: if the shape is suitable no problem; if it is a straight shape = rectangle, you will have problems closing the bag with the handlebars without dismantling it! It is obvious that a bag
where you can keep the rear wheel saves you from all these problems and remains by far the best formula for light bag
s. Be careful here too to choose a bag with a suitable shape to accommodate the handlebar/handlebar crosswise if possible without dismantling it.
E - PROTECT YOUR FORK
In the same way as for the derailleur, protecting your fork is imperative: all you need is a fork protection that you will find in specialized shops or on the internet. In particular, it allows you to maintain the distance between the sleeves and therefore the adjustment of your disc brake and possibly protects the relaxation and/or compression settings. In short, don't miss out on this accessory for a few euros!
F - WHEEL STORAGE
Here too it is essential to choose your bag
carefully: Two solutions and no other should guide your choice: - Dedicated pockets: You must have 2 dedicated pockets with reinforcement in the center so as not to damage your bike , each placed on one side of the bag
for general balance and maximum protection! Often nothing is specified and the bags only have a simple strip along the length of the bag (and on one side only!) to position your wheels! Result: the wheels wander inside the bag
and deteriorate in addition to destroying your bike in the process!
- independent wheel bag
: It is imperative that these proposed bag
s have a central reinforcement. These can then be positioned correctly in the bag. Of course a bag
with foam thickness is even more desirable. In all cases, pay attention to the dimensions of these pockets
: as for the independent bag
s: allow at least 76 cm x 8 cm (width) to accept the largest 29-inch wheels.
G - LENGTH OF HANDLES AND BALANCE OF THE BAG
A detail that is not in use. We often find bags with handles that are too short and you must carry your bag at elbow level. Remember to check that the handles have an opening between 30 and 35 cm!
H - SPEED AND SIMPLICITY OF USE
s allowing you to keep the rear wheel are now popular with users for this type of bag. Removing the front wheel only is simple and allows for easy, quick and clean assembly/reassembly!
I - STORAGE BAG OF THE bag
This storage bag which initially contains the bag
should be used to store dirty belongings, shoes, etc. when the bag
is used: many “first prize” bag
s are delivered in an unusable box after unpacking!
J - CASTERS OR NOT CASTERS
After numerous tests and discussions with users and manufacturers, several things systematically emerge and are therefore worth remembering:
- Only offset casters are popular! The bags with the wheels inside the bag are not stable and even worse "break the wrist", deteriorate too quickly (often not good quality on bags less than 150 euros) and finally make the bag unusable very quickly. Choose simplicity for this type of bag!
- No use really for light transport bags! On the contrary, these wheels prevent the folding and compression of this type of bag, which must be as compact as possible when “not in use”!
- The "integrated" wheels across the width are often small so the edge of the bag touches the ground and wears out prematurely, what's more with the weight of the bike and the too tight angle used to roll it!
K - CONCLUSION
To summarize, taking into account these selection criteria, we selected:
- bag Scott Classic + seatstay support (not included) + fork protector (not included) - removal of both wheels!
- Scicon Travel Plus MTB + seatstay support (not included) + fork protector (not included) - removal of both wheels!
Our “ILB” choice for sale: BUDS ROADBag (for road and gravel) and MTBag for mountain bikes, with their unique and innovative concept (retained rear wheel), each available in 3 models of different quality:
[su_custom_gallery source="media: 3352,3258,3231,3262" link="lightbox" width="380" height="220" title="never"] [/su_custom_gallery] Our choice “ILB” accessories:
- Fork protection
- Shroud support
- bags of BUDS independent wheels also on sale, you won't find them anywhere else!
[su_custom_gallery source="media: 3326,3309,3296,3280" link="lightbox" width="380" height="220" title="never"] [/su_custom_gallery] Best value for money/protection/use, the reviews prove us right!
[su_youtube_advanced url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS3CAq83tD8" https="yes"]
2 - SELECTION CRITERIA bag/LONG TRAVEL AIRCRAFT CARRYING BAG FOR BICYCLES
All quality and dimension criteria are the same as for transport bag
s (with removal of both wheels):
- Minimum dimensions of 130 cm x 85 cm are ideal for all sizes
- Double ZIP
- Fork, frame and stay support protection mandatory
- Protection of wheels in pockets or bag of independent wheels: foam lining of 10 mm minimum with central protection mandatory
- Handlebar attachment system
- Wheels offset (wider than the bag to keep the loaded bag balanced)
It is important in this case to (re)talk about the other selection criteria:
A - RIGID OR FLEXIBLE SHELL
A good (high-end) rigid shell obviously remains the ultimate solution, but it still has to meet the above characteristics. But taking all the elements into account, a soft shell (nylon or 600D) can be more practical and almost as protective if the bike is well placed inside!
- Rigid base support in Hard Shell: the fixed support which allows you to fix the axes is recommended in this case! In fact, the bike does not move and remains protected by the shell.
- Rigid base support in Soft Shell: it is obvious that in this case, if the bike is completely fixed with this support, it risks being stressed laterally in a violent impact and therefore having serious problems ( other than paint dots) with possible deformation of the frame or even tearing
In this case, it is necessary to favor a bag
WITHOUT this support to let the bike "live" at least inside which will be protected by the foam and by the wheels on each side!
B - WITH OR WITHOUT CASTERS
- With wheels: in this case they must absolutely be offset to avoid breaking your wrist and lifting your bag every 3 meters. You will most often get a bag which only folds partially, more or less, or not at all and which when “not in use” often remains a real problem for storage, especially in a hotel room or an apartment. .
- Without wheels: a bag “soft with protective foam” can be perfectly suitable: with experience in airports, we often take a trolley because we have to carry luggage in addition to the bag bicycle , so while we're at it, we put the flexible bag across it. What's more, this bag bike must be dropped off in the "bulky" areas located not far from the check-in counters.
Warning: also take into account that often "in the field" the wheels will be unusable (stairs/uneven terrain outdoors etc.), it is preferable to carry the bag
! So once again a “portable” bag
even for the plane can be the right solution because it is more versatile when traveling.
C - CONCLUSION
To summarize, taking into account these selection criteria, we selected:
Our “ILB” choice for sale:
- Buds ROLLBag, bag foldable travel bag for all types of bikes
[su_youtube_advanced url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cixGgcIFJB0" https="yes"]
3 - SELECTION CRITERIA bag/PROTECTIVE BIKE BAG
In this case we were able to determine that it was preferable to opt for "complete bag
s", that is to say which completely "enclose" the bike rather than a simple "cover" on the top which does not does not prevent dust from rising and infiltrating into the areas that need to be protected, such as the derailleur, the chain, the sprockets and other bearings, not to mention the sheaths, etc. So prefer the bag
s which take the whole bike (no wheel removed) or a bag
where you only remove the front wheel like our choice of the “ ROADBag Light » for road bike or “MTBag Light” for mountain bike which also allows carrying or suspension in addition to being super compact when not in use, therefore easy to lug around: -) We also chose the bag “Bike Cover” from Evoc, but if it is simple to set up, it does not, however, offer complete protection and is offered at a relatively elite price. Good purchase! [caption id="attachment_3398" align="alignleft" width="249"] The ROLLBag: best bag for plane of the moment at the best price[/caption] [caption id="attachment_3270" align="alignleft" width="250"] The MTBag range: best MTB transport bags from the moment to the best price[/caption] [caption id="attachment_3340" align="alignleft" width="250"] The ROADBag range: best road bike transport bags of the moment at the best price[/caption]